Class Three: More On Steps and Scales
Here are my class notes with agenda and homework:
Homework This Week’s Assignment (Due Tuesday 9/15):
- Continue daily work with your ear training app
- Quantify your current ear state
- Express your current abilities in ear training in writing or with a graphic. Specify which drills are helping, which are frustrating or beyond you, and assess your progress.
- Using an invented or existing visual representation, either…
- Create and document your own scale that combines whole and half steps and repeats at the octave
- Document an existing (non-major) scale, including its name, and be able to express the scale on an instrument or your voice
- Memorize the step structure of one scale so that saying out loud the structure is automatic.
- Create 10 step-wise melodies
- Document them using any number of graphic notations
- Make an audio recording of four of them
- Be ready to teach people how to perform them
- Be able to describe them in terms of scale, shape and tonal degree.